I initially started this new blog posting less than 24 hours after the last one, because wow, things can change so quickly. My faith was a bit shaky last week, although still growing. Last Saturday morning, even though I had heard these bits of wisdom before, something happened to change my heart and mind. Two awarenesses hit me, and they are big. First, I realized just how often I want to get my happiness from other things in life, be it other people, praise, fitting in, texts, a tasty treat, Facebook "likes", whatever. I knew that kind of thinking was a joke, but not until that morning, for no apparent reason, did it become real and did I "get it." I knew it before, but now I KNOW it. Thank God for that!
The other bit of wisdom that finally hit me was that I have to do more of my own part to feel better - I can't expect God to do everything for me, although I know He cares and wants the best for me. I've always said, people need to walk, as well as pray, but I haven't been following my own words in some cases. Point of fact: I eat like crap! And exercise like crap! But I ask God to help me feel better. Wow, get it together, huh?! God isn't going to change how chips and salsa affect me, or that piece of tiramisu, or that Pepsi I have with a donut for breakfast. Oh yeah, that's up to me to change to feel better. I hope you're laughing with me, and not at me right now! :) I pray a lot and ask for a lot, but I really do need to do my part.
These two awarenesses will take some time to sink in, but I am so glad to finally understand.
- a 3rd grader stopped me in the hallway to say he's looking forward to next year
- good friends listen and support us all
- spending time with a new friend & letting her experience a real classroom
- seeing the "God blessed" license plate below
- being able to teach at my current school for five years now
- the State of Wisconsin INCREASING my tax refund after finding an error on my returns
- a family that supports no matter what
- pastors/rectors who really help me understand faith and keep it going
- getting a hug again this Friday morning from Liv at Alterra/Colectivo
- talking with coworkers and having one unexpectedly come up to me as I was leaving school today, saying, "If you need an ear, I'm here for you" - that was so meaningful for me and hug-worthy
- oh, and I almost forgot one...a former student came back to the classroom late on Friday to deliver his birthday treat...a donut! Right up my alley. :)
A big "thank you" goes out to all. Am keeping the faith, and just letting the concerns go, day by day.
Blessings to everyone!